Job-Hunting Tools:Search for Jobs
Corporate Job Sites
Order a New Resume
Career Tools:Content Index
Search this Site
Career Categories:Career Networking
Resumes and CVs
Career Assessments Can Shed Light on Career/Job Ailments
by Susan Britton Whitcomb
Does your job score a 10 on the satisfaction scale? If not, it may be time for a career checkup to determine "what ails you." Where do you start? Career assessments are an excellent way to do some diagnostic work.
Here are seven "S's" that underscore the benefits of career assessments to you and your career:
- Speed: Career assessments jumpstart the career reconnaissance process, cutting off hours of time soul-searching and spinning your wheels.
- Structure: Assessments provide a framework or blueprint for thinking and planning action steps.
- Self-Esteem: You can quickly spot your top talents and boost your self-confidence with the right combination of assessments. Appreciate what you have to offer and unearth the tangible evidence of your value to employers!
- Stance: Need a new or different view of your career? Career assessments can help you gain a whole new perspective about your strengths, your options, and your possibilities!
- Simplify: Career assessments can simplify the transition process by helping you narrow down from the 12,000+ types of careers what will work best for you. If you're overwhelmed about where to start or what to focus on, the right assessments will be of immense value.
- Safeguard: Assessments can also help safeguard or protect you from pursuing a career that may not be the best match for you.
- Suited: Ever wish you could find a career perfectly suited for you and your unique DNA? The right combination of assessments will provide you with evidence of the ingredients you need to know to tweak your career so that it does, indeed, fit you like a glove.
If you'd like to do some career diagnostics -- whether to cure an ailing job or add greater health and vitality to an existing position, contact a career coach or counselor (Editor's Note: See our Directory of Life and Career Coaches and also check out our Online Career Assessment Tools Review).
Be sure to go to the Career Assessment Tools & Tests section of Quintessential Careers.
Questions about some of the terminology used in this article? Get more information (definitions and links) on key college, career, and job-search terms by going to our Job-Seeker's Glossary of Job-Hunting Terms.
Susan Whitcomb is founder and president of The Academies, including Career Coach Academy, Job Search Academy, and Leadership Coach Academy. She brings two decades of experience to her work as an author and speaker. People come away from Susan's keynotes, trainings, and coaching encounters with an "I can do it!" perspective, helping them tap into the awareness, attitudes, and action plans that cause a life-changing shift from stagnant or stuck to unstoppable. Susan is the author of the best-selling "Magic Series" published by JIST, including Job Search Magic, Interview Magic, and Resume Magic, now in its 4th edition. Her book, 30-Day Job Promotion: Build a Powerful Promotion Plan in a Month, is part of JIST's popular Help-in-a-Hurry series. Her recent book The Christian's Career Journey marries her career experience with a Bibilical approach to careers and calling. And Susan's newest book, The Twitter Job Search Guide, reveals how job seekers and careerists can leverage the power of social media to advance their careers. Learn more about Susan.
Help envision and plan your career, job, work future with the self-assessment and career discovery tests in this section of Quintessential Careers: Career Assessment Tools & Tests: Assessments for Students, Job-Seekers, Career-Changers.
Enhance your career! Take advantage of all of our expert free career development advice, tools, and more in our Career Resources Toolkit for Job-Seekers.